Fiber cut - response in seconds?

Martin Hannigan martin at theicelandguy.com
Tue Jun 2 13:19:01 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Charles Wyble <charles at thewybles.com> wrote:

> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/30/AR2009053002114_pf.html
>
> Not sure if I fully believe the article. Responding to a fiber cut in
> seconds?
>
> I suppose it's possible if $TLA had people monitoring the construction from
> across the street, and they were in communication with the NOC.

Dig Safe, Miss Utility, etc. notify potential dig impacted entities when
activity is occurring around their assets and coordinate the marking of the
utilities and start of construction in proximity to the targeted dig zone.
This is why calling the state utility locator services is the law
(everywhere that I'm aware of). The government isn't exempt from these
notifications FWIW. The programs may have a slight tweak in the national
capitol area.

http://www.ncs.gov/

Best,

-M<

Martin Hannigan                               martin at theicelandguy.com
p: +16178216079
Power, Network, and Costs Consulting for Iceland Datacenters and Occupants