Fiber cut - response in seconds?

JC Dill jcdill.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 04:25:12 UTC 2009

Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> Given the location the guys in the blacks suvs likely have at least
> situational awareness of all of the contruction projects in their
> immediate vicinity.

This has to be the most backwards way of dealing with this problem.
They know exactly where the construction is taking place - the plans are
filed with the local municipality and all the relevant agencies have
access.  Why do they "watch" and "monitor" rather than proactively go
out and say "watch out, there's an unmarked cable here" and keep them
from cutting the cable in the first place?  If these cables are THAT
important, I'd think it would be critical to keep them from getting cut
in the first place, rather than rushing out to fix them "within 24
hours".  They could send guys out in white jumpsuits and hard hats and
the backhoe operators would just assume it was normal bureaucracy at
work (oops, we forgot to mark those cables on your map) rather than
sooper sekrit black fiber that no one is supposed to know about - until
they cut into it and the black SUVs show up and then they DO know about
it - more than they need to know.

jc