Fiber cut - response in seconds?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Mon Jun 1 23:49:22 UTC 2009

Charles Wyble wrote:

> Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>> It's pretty trivial if know where all the construction projects on your
>> path are...
>
> How so? Setup OTDR traces and watch them?

When you lose link on every pair in a bundle, but don't lose any of the
buildings you're serving via diverse paths, you have a pretty good idea
what happened. Knowing which of the three construction projects on that
path is likely to be digging a trench is a facilities issue.

>> I've seen this happen on a university campus several times. no black
>> helicopters were involved.
>
> Care to expand on the methodology used? A campus network is a lot
> different then a major metro area.

Given the location the guys in the blacks suvs likely have at least
situational awareness of all of the contruction projects in their
immediate vicinity. they don't have to monitor everyone's cable, just
their own and near instantaneous response implies proximity so it may
well be more akin to a campus network.