Subnet Size for BGP peers.

Benjamin Billon bbillon-ml at splio.fr
Wed Jul 29 22:09:27 UTC 2009

Imagine two of your clients are competitors, they probably don't want to
be on the same IP range. And yes, when you sell your service to several
customers, you don't want one of them blowing up all the other's SLA.

IXs use /24, as far as I know, and peers connected there can usually use
md5 password if they want to. But in that case, some troubles like arp
broadcast storm could happen, coming from any of the connected network.

I guess it's not the same level of service, but I agree, many /30 or /29
are a big loss of addresses.

It reminds me GLBP with two gateways: on 10.0.0.0/29, you got
10.0.0.0 : network
10.0.0.7 : broadcast
10.0.0.1 : gw1
10.0.0.2 : gw2
10.0.0.6 : virtual gw
only 3, 4 and 5 for other equipments.

Who knows any other good way to lose IP addresses?