Subnet Size for BGP peers.

Jim Wininger jbotctc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 19:59:44 UTC 2009

I have a question about the subnet size for BGP peers. Typically when we

turn up a new BGP customer we turn them up on a /29 or a /30. That seems to

be the "norm".

We connect to many of our BGP peers with ethernet. It would be a simple

matter to allocate a /24 for connectivity to the customer on a shared link.

This would help save on some address space.

My question is, is this in general good or bad idea? Have others been down

this path and found that it was a bad idea? I can see some of the pothols on

this path (BGP session hijacking, incorrectly configured customer routers

etc). These issues could be at least partially mitigated. Are there larger

issues when doing something like this or is it a practical idea?

--

Jim Wininger

--
Jim Wininger