XO - a Tier 1 or not?

Hiers, David David_Hiers at adp.com
Tue Jul 28 17:56:52 UTC 2009

If you limit your consideration to how things look at IP and AP/AR, then the Tier-N discussion is solvable.

If you care about actual physical facilities, all bets are off.  Taking a tangent from the diversity concept:

http://www.atis.org/ndai/ATIS_NDAI_Final_Report_2006.pdf

<war-story>
I worked at a CLEC that purchased two SS7 links, one each from two Very Big Carriers.  Both wound up going through the same fiber bundle in one particular market, on which both big guys leased bandwidth from A Minor Carrier.  I've never seen a VP run as fast as when that backhoe hit us in Illinois; turns out they only *look* slow.
</war-story>

You never really know...

David Hiers

CCIE (R/S, V), CISSP