Nanog mentioned on BBC news website

Jim Mercer jim at reptiles.org
Thu Jul 23 11:27:26 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 08:44:21PM -0400, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> My fav part:
> <quote>
> "That's precisely how packets move around the internet, sometimes in a
> many as 25 or 30 hops with the intervening entities passing the data
> around having no contractual or legal obligation to the original
> sender or to the receiver."
> </quote>
>
> How many of you pass packets without getting paid?

in the case of intervening entities, it is true that they have no link to
the sender or receiver.  my packets from office to home can traverse at 3
or more networks that are not paid by me, or my company.

they likely have contracts or obligations with their immediate neighbours,
which is basically why the system continues to work.

--
Jim Mercer        jim at reptiles.org        +971 55 410-5633
"I'm Prime Minister of Canada, I live here and I'm going to take a leak."