What else shall we test?

Michael J McCafferty mike at m5computersecurity.com
Thu Jul 23 00:05:53 UTC 2009

All,
	We are putting together a test plan to test a pair of Cisco 7206 VXR's,
each with with NPE-G2. The purpose of the test is just to make sure we
know where their realistic limits are with a real configuration, full
route tables from two providers, etc. We have one JDSU T-Berd 8000 test
system with interfaces and software to test a single stream through
multi-mode fiber interfaces. We plan to test through the interfaces on
the NPE and through PA-GE cards with a variety of packet sizes
(especially 64 Byte).
	I'd be interested in any thoughts on additional testing or testing
methodologies we might want to do, to help us set our expectations for
this setup and to plan when we need to go bigger as we grow traffic,
hosts, etc.
	We plan to get 1 to 3 additional full tables and peer with Any2 Easy on
this network within the next year. We want to determine how this
platform will behave under moderate DoS attacks, BGP updates, etc. Is
there anything else we need to be mindful of? Can we get a realistic
test of the routers with the T-Berd? What else should we test while we
have the maintenance window and the test system on hand?

	Your thoughts and experience are appreciated!

Thanks !
Mike

Michael J. McCafferty
Principal, Security Engineer
M5 Hosting
http://www.m5hosting.com

You can have your own custom Dedicated Server up and running today !
RedHat Enterprise, CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and more