Open Source / Low Cost NMS for Server Hardware / Application Monitoring

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Jul 22 18:40:21 UTC 2009

Matthew Huff wrote:
> Some of our requirements:
>
> .       Native agents for Windows 2003/2008, Linux, Linux x86_64, Solaris Sparc and Solaris x86_64. Either binaries or source code.
> .       Ability to send alerts via email, pager and/or snmp
> .       Monitoring of OS properties like memory, disk, cpu, etc...
> .       Ability to extend agents with scripting to allow monitoring of custom services
> .       Plug-in architecture for third-party add-ons
> .       Reliable Architecture
> .       Reasonable user interface
> .       Non-blocking polling
> .       Active Project (New Releases on regular basis and have existed for a reasonable period)

You probably have the list of the most commonly used. Each has good and
bad points. A few of them I believe are limited on using agents and
supporting external scripts. Several are considered Nagios on steroids,
using a Nagios core wrappered in a bunch of other OSS. Several, like
Zenoss are particular about the primarily monitoring system (though
agents might run on any OS).

Jack