Opensource or Low Cost NMS for Server Hardware / Application Monitoring

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Wed Jul 22 17:21:54 UTC 2009

I think all of these comments are useful. but we are looking for NMS for
server/application monitoring, not snmp/dmi based polling. We will need a
system that runs custom scripts to monitor our servers (CPU, OS syslogs,
Windows Event logs, hardware, memory, etc) and our in-house applications
running on these servers (100+). Native agents for windows 2003, 2008, Linux
and Solaris (both Sparc and x86) with custom scripting is a minimum
requirements. There are a lot of good network router/switch solutions, but
we are looking for some that are more focused on server based management. We
used to use BMC patrol which was a very good system. We moved away from it
because it was extremely pricey per-node and BMC absolute rejection of
Solaris X86 as a supported platform (We went back and forth between Sun and
BMC regarding that for over a year).

----
Matthew Huff       | One Manhattanville Rd
OTA Management LLC | Purchase, NY 10577
http://www.ox.com  | Phone: 914-460-4039
aim: matthewbhuff  | Fax:   914-460-4139