Opensource or Low Cost NMS for Server Hardware / Application Monitoring

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Jul 22 13:45:52 UTC 2009

Warren Kumari wrote:
> As for server / application / random other stuff (like printers and
> ups's and IP camera and the like), Zenoss is great -- its clean, simple,
> fast(ish), easy  and pretty -- the last one happens to be important for
> some folks (esp in the enterprise world...)

Just expect it to be run on linux; perhaps bsd. The last time I played
with it, there were too many issues with getting it to run on Solaris 10
to bother. Don't get me wrong. When I installed nagios 3.1.2 yesterday,
I had to make it understand that -lsocket was needed and copy snprintf.o
from ./base to ./common where it was supposed to be compiled. Zenoss
just wasn't an easy tweak. It's been awhile, but I suspect their
install.sh was very linux centric and would have required a rewrite.

Jack