What is good in modular routers these days?

Petersen, Mark MPetersen at gs1us.org
Tue Jul 21 15:46:57 UTC 2009

FreeBSD has done work to optimize for 10gbps and they have a nice
netperf cluster for testing
http://www.freebsd.org/projects/netperf/cluster.html#resources

>From http://www.freebsd.org/features.html - "10Gbps network
optimization: With optimized device drivers from all major 10gbps
network vendors, FreeBSD 7.0 has seen extensive optimization of the
network stack for high performance workloads, including auto-scaling
socket buffers, TCP Segment Offload (TSO), Large Receive Offload (LRO),
direct network stack dispatch, and load balancing of TCP/IP workloads
over multiple CPUs on supporting 10gbps cards or when multiple network
interfaces are in use simultaneously. Full vendor support is available
from Chelsio, Intel, Myricom, and Neterion."

FreeBSD provides support for 802.11q, bgpd, ospfd, pf(firewall) and
ALTQ(QOS) but since I haven't tested it I have no idea what kind of real
world performance you can get with all these features in use.

This is one group trying to pony up at least with support of many major
vendors.

mark