What is good in modular routers these days?

William Pitcock nenolod at systeminplace.net
Mon Jul 20 02:09:05 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm looking for a Cisco 2600-like platform, except with the capability
of routing with gigabit and 10gigabit linecards (and not being EOL, of
course).  Ideally it would be capable of doing full BGP tables in the
supervision engine, although that isn't necessarily a show stopper right
now.  Lack of IPv6 support, however, is.

Does anyone even make standalone modular routers anymore?  I don't need
or want switching capabilities as seen on say a Cisco 6500 series
platform, as my network topology would not benefit from that, and the
cost overhead would probably not justify having it anyway.

Right now we are using software routing appliances for this, but they do
not tend to fare well in high packets/second scenarios (e.g. inbound
DDoS attacks).

William
--
William Pitcock
SystemInPlace - Simple Hosting Solutions