Cisco 7600 (7609) as a core BGP router.

Brad Fleming bdfleming at kanren.net
Fri Jul 17 23:07:26 UTC 2009

We don't run very much Cisco gear (none of their larger, hardware
stuff) but I have a couple questions for the Cisco gurus out there...

According to this page:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/product_data_sheet09186a0080159856_ps4835_Products_Data_Sheet.html
The Cisco WS-SUP720-3BXL can hold "1,000,000 (IPv4); 500,000 (IPv6)"
route entries.

1) Does that mean a) The card can hold 1m IPv4 routes --OR-- 500K IPv6
routes or b) 1m IPv4 routes --AND-- 500K IPv6 routes?
2) I'm assuming MPLS cuts into the number somewhere but could anyone
explain it briefly?
3) Do ACLs use some of these resources or do they get their own slice
of memory?

That page also reports "up to 40 Gbps per slot of switching capacity;
720 Gbps aggregate bandwidth".
Is the 40Gbps per slot an aggregate or full-duplex value?

Thanks for helping out a Cisco n00b!
--
Brad Fleming