Cisco 7600 (7609) as a core BGP router.

Jim Wininger jwininger at indianafiber.net
Fri Jul 17 21:23:22 UTC 2009

I have an opportuniy to put two 7609s into the core of my network.

Currently we have 3 upstream providers, taking full BGP routes. (2 in one
router and one in another). We have 17 BGP peers/customers (peering to each
router), and adding about one new BGP peer every 2-3 months. It is a modest
network by most standards. We are running OSPF and BGP between the existing
routers.

Not rocket science, nothing special (no MPLS, no VRF etc), very simple
network.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the 7600's as a core BGP router?
Good or bad? Have they been a stable platform in a core/BGP environment?
--
Jim Wininger