The actual value, from a security standpoint, of using a proxy domain registrar?

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Jul 16 22:13:36 UTC 2009

>Example: I work for a VoIP provider that sells to large customers.
>Their customers sell to smaller customers that want to operate their
>own small scale VoIP business.  No one 2 or 3 levels down knows who we
>are, and the people upstream want it that way.

Sure.

>Solution?  Generic sounding domain name

Right.

> with private registration.

Wrong.

Proxy registration just makes you look sleazy.  Voxbone does just dandy
as a VoIP wholesaler without proxy registration.  What do they know that
you don't?

Some proxy registration is just stupid, e.g., there's proxy
registration for betamax.com, but not for their brands such as
voipdiscount.com, phonefreecalls.com, internetcalls.com, and
nowcall.com.

R's,
John

PS: