The actual value, from a security standpoint, of using a proxy domain registrar?

Mike Lyon mike.lyon at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 21:52:44 UTC 2009

Howdy,

I am curious what others in the industry think on this topic. When one
registers a domain they can put in their real information or they can use a
proxy, like Go-Daddy's Domains By Proxy.

Now, personally, I would prefer just to get a PO Box and put that address on
my domain info instead of doing a proxy. I could also put down a phone
number in the registration that just goes to my general business phone line
which is just a DVR.

So the question I have is this: What actual security are these proxy
companies providing to the end-user?  My company website has my real
address, my real phone number, exec bio's and pictures of them yet upper
management (and our marketing company) think using a proxy is a good thing.

What's the difference between using a proxy vs using a PO Box except that a
PO Box is cheaper?

I'd just like to get thoughts from others to see what the general feeling is
on this topic.

Cheers,
Mike