Drop in IPv6 traffic

Jeroen Wunnink jeroen at easyhosting.nl
Thu Jul 9 14:34:53 UTC 2009

If I look at a tcpdump of our teredo relay which is announced to all our
AMS-IX peers (and some partial and full transits), there's a lot of nntp
and quite some torrent packets going over there, so it seems the
majority of IPv6 traffic is due to content providers like XSnews
providing 'freebies' to what otherwise would be a paid service.

We've seen the same with our Eweka/Highwinds partial transit, once we
announce 2001::/32 there, there's suddenly a big increase in traffic
over our teredo from other exchange points prefixes we get from them,
heading to free IPv6 news services some dutch providers hand out.

Also, coincedence ?: http://www.sixxs.net/misc/traffic/

--

Met vriendelijke groet,

Jeroen Wunnink,
EasyHosting B.V. Systeembeheerder
systeembeheer at easyhosting.nl

telefoon:+31 (035) 6285455              Postbus 48
fax: +31 (035) 6838242                  3755 ZG Eemnes

http://www.easyhosting.nl
http://www.easycolocate.nl