Point to Point Ethernet

Tomas L. Byrnes tomb at byrneit.net
Thu Jul 9 00:52:35 UTC 2009

The fundamental disconnect here is that a bunch of Layer 3 guys are
trying to define Layer 2.

History shows us that Layer 2 winds up being IEEE, and Layer 3 IETF.

ITU-T and others write long "standards" that wind up not being so, due
to too many "options", while spending lots of money and keeping the
airlines, rental car companies, and meeting space vendors in business.

If you want "Real Ethernet" (IE multiple access, not point to point) in
a metro framework, then why increase the likelihood of collisions by
using jumbo frames?

If you want to use Ethernet in point to point, then do it, just make
sure your optics are up to the task, and the endpoints are configured
properly.

If what you're looking for is carrier Ethernet with the sort of "craft"
interfaces and features you're used to from the telco world, then you
may want to talk to Ipitek. (I've done some consulting for them, but am
in no way affiliated or compensated for sales.)

LAN.