Point to Point Ethernet

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Jul 8 14:52:25 UTC 2009

> > 1. What's the point of increasing the max MTU from 9000 to 9012? If we
> > want a higher MTU, why not just ask for one in the next standard?
>
> To me the only reason for this would be to lessen overhead on small
> packets. Also, afaik standard payload MTU is 1500 for ethernet, anything
> else is vendor extension, outside the standard.
>
> Ethernet overhead compared to HDLC is pretty big...

Also, there would be small point in getting rid of the normal Ethernet
headers if you still needed to use the standard Ethernet preamble and
inter frame gap (a total of 20 bytes). These were really only needed for
10 Mbps Ethernet.

I find it highly unlikely that such a change would be accepted - also I
don't really see the big point.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no