Wireless bridge

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Fri Jul 3 16:03:16 UTC 2009

2009/6/19 Peter Boone <NANOG at aquillar.com>

> - Get off the 2.4 GHz range. Move up to 5. As for licensed vs. unlicensed,
> I'm getting mixed input. I'm fairly certain that if the price is right and
> the frequency is 5GHz+, it won't be a factor. Also, I'll be very glad to
> separate the bridge from the client access points so that allows for more
> options. Every solution at this range can easily do 20+ Mbps so throughput
> is no longer a factor.

It looks like your fresnel zone is 14ft (according to a previous poster) and
you're currently using relatively low power radio waves.

Have you considered using something like Free Space Optics? For under $100,
you can build yourself a couple of RONJAs[1] and test out what the signal is
going to be like - that runs at 10Mbit, and can stay in place as a backup
once you then buy a FSO device from a proper manufacturer (MRV make some
nice ones) and you're looking at 100Mbit for some money, 1000Mbit for quite
a lot of money and 10000Mbit for "it would have been cheaper to lay fiber".

I'd heartily recommend giving infra-red FSO a go, no Fresnel zone and it's
essentially bridged ethernet - no funky routing required, though I would
still set up OSPF or similar with it, to fail back to a slower link such as
the RONJA.

Matthew Walster

[1] http://ronja.twibright.com/