Telephones for Noisy Data Centers

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Jul 1 17:25:33 UTC 2009

Robert E. Seastrom wrote:
> Jay Hennigan <jay at west.net> writes:
>
>> Replace microphone element with noise-canceling microphone.  Best one
>> is Roanwell Confidencer available from Mike Sandman, Graybar, etc.
>> Also good is Walker - Clarity NoiseCensor or Allen-Tel GB117
>> (available from Graybar).
>
> +1 on the Confidencer - back when I worked for a trading firm, these
> +were standard issue on all phones on the floor.  They work great.

Indeed.  The other solutions work great for a single user on a cellular
phone, but I prefer a plain old wired telephone with a handset for the
emergency phone at a data center.  It's usable by anyone.  Ever try
handing your bluetooth headset with custom earmold to the electrician
working on the UPS?

Data centers tend to be noisy in more than just the acoustic spectrum,
mobile reception often isn't the greatest.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net