All Google Search Results: "This site may harm your computer."

Colin Alston karnaugh at karnaugh.za.net
Sat Jan 31 21:18:14 UTC 2009

On 2009/01/31 04:50 PM Peter Beckman wrote:
> This morning whilest Googling, I got a bunch of "Permission Denied" to
> "/interstitial?..." URLs on Google.
>
> Then all my search results got listed as "This site may harm your
> computer."
>
> Is Google broken, or is the functionality of listing sites as broken,
> broken?

You know, I recently started turning off safe-site checks to stopbadware.

Never mind this incident, I've noticed *a lot* of sites getting
blocked arbitrarily. Checking the site for reasons gives only the most
tenuous reasoning, and on a number of occasions misspellings of the
site I was actually visiting (as in, it was blocking the site I wanted
based on a similarly or misspelt version being bad).

I do think Firefox for one misappropriates the accuracy of the system.
Essentially it is allowing one site to dictate what their users can view.

Anyway, my 2c rant on web blacklists..