Shaping on a large scale

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Sat Jan 31 03:44:56 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:
> Bruce,
> Are these broadband customer using PPPoE or L2TP?   If so, I suggest
> looking at the capabilities of your BRAS to do the work.
>
> Per user bandwidth quotas are the nature of the game here in Australia
> and doing it at the BRAS is the way we do it.   RADIUS gives you byte
> counts and gives you the ability to pass back rate limits etc.

What you didn't tell him is that the kind of shaping you can do
on the BRAS heavily depends on features used and platform. :)

64k policing mostly works everywhere, for example, but isn't
all that crash hot for your clients. :)

Doing more complicated hierarchical QoS on software platforms is
doable but complicated.

Others take a multi-tiered approach - they'll buy some kit to do
P2P identification/shaping, and per-user hard shaping in case they
go over quota.

Lots of cute stuff. :)

Adrian