ISP Unbundling circuits

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Thu Jan 29 13:13:47 UTC 2009

Greetings,

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, itmailinglist wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> Is it common for an ISP to install a lased line (circuit) and when the
> service ends, the service is not unbundled again but all the cabling is left
> where it is?  I have even seen that a circuit is still active on there
> exchanges after years and no one at the ISP seems to care that they are
> wasting there own resources.

   *EVERY* ISP I have consulted for has failed to perform the simplest of
Order Entry processes, including an item-by-item checklist of what to do
when a customer disconnects.  At each ISP we have found numerous circuits
still in place and being paid for month after month.

   Only when we have gone through all of their circuit billings and
customer accounts do we find all the loose ends and get their record
keeping cleaned up.  And then set them up with internal processes and
databases that prevent such costly errors.

      --- Jay Nugent
          ISPmonitor.org
          "You can't manage what you can't measure"
          Providing monitoring and consulting services for ISP's

Train how you will Operate, and you will Operate how you were Trained.
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]                            |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.org] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|