Tightened DNS security question re: DNS amplification attacks.

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Jan 28 19:52:12 UTC 2009

Paul Vixie wrote:

> note, i'm speaking as a concerned internet citizen here, not as an ARIN
> trustee or as ISC's president.  i really want to know if folks would be
> willing to shun eachother not on the basis of evil but rather complacency.

The real question is, would the endpoints be willing to shun each other
not based on the other endpoint, but complacency of the endpoint's
provider. I believe such traffic changes would quickly find themselves
to "net-neutrality" lawsuits.

 From things I've seen in the past, it is appropriate to say "my server,
my rules" but not appropriate to say "my network, my rules". ie, if I
wanted to shape/block/alter p2p, block vontage, etc.

Jack