Are we really this helpless? (Re: isprime DOS in progress)

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 04:10:38 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 10:31 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 18:33:14 PST, Seth Mattinen said:
>
>> Back to my original question: is there really not a better solution?
>
> Well, we *could* hunt down the perpetrators, pool some $$, and hire 3 or 4
> baseball-bat wielding professional explainers to go explain our position to
> them.  Figuring out how to do so without breaking any laws is the tough part...

Step one, find a device on your netowrk seeing the traffic
step two, follow the stream(s) of traffic back to its ingress
(hopefully a customer link on your network)
step three, watch for associated traffic to the source of the dns
queries, correlate this with other sources on your network to
find/identify the control point for this effort.

-chris