"IP networks will feel traffic pain in 2009" (C|Net & Cisco)

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Wed Jan 21 21:37:47 UTC 2009

On 21/01/2009 21:30, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> On Jan 21, 2009, at 11:07 AM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>> Finding ways to force object revalidation by an intermediary cache (so
>> the end origin server knows something has been fetched) and thus
>> allowing the cache to serve the content on behalf of the content
>> origintor, under their full control, but without the bits being served.
>
> Excellent idea. It is a shame content owners do not see the utility in
> your idea.

This doesn't provide feed-back to the content distributors on partial
downloads, etc - which is useful information to content providers, if
you're into data mining end-user browsing habits.  In the specific case of
Youtube, of course I don't know that they do this, but I'd be surprised if
they didn't.

Nick