"IP networks will feel traffic pain in 2009" (C|Net & Cisco)

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Wed Jan 21 16:07:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

> Google is not the only company which will put caches into any provider
> - or school (which is really just a special case provider) - with
> enough traffic.  A school with 30 machines probably would not
> qualify.  This is not being mean, this is just being rational.  No way
> those 30 machines save the company enough money to pay for the caches.
>
> Again, sux, but that's life.  I'd love to hear your solution - besides
> writing "magic" into squid to intentionally break or alter (some would
> use much harsher language) content you do not own.  Content others are
> providing for free.

Finding ways to force object revalidation by an intermediary cache (so
the end origin server knows something has been fetched) and thus
allowing the cache to serve the content on behalf of the content
origintor, under their full control, but without the bits being served.

I'm happy to work with content providers if they'd like to point out
which bits of HTTP design and implementation fail them (eg, issues
surrounding Variant object caching and invalidation/revalidation) and
get them fixed in a public manner in Squid so it -can- be deployed
by people to save on bandwidth in places where it still matters.

Adrian