Inauguration streaming traffic

Brandon Butterworth brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 15:24:31 UTC 2009

> The Beeb's HD multicast feed is about 23Mbit/s to the host, and we received
> it at quite decent (subjective) quality here on a JANET-connected university
> site.

This is full broadcast HD, exactly the same as we have on satellite.

We don't consider it generally usable, it's part of IPTV services not
general Internet distribution.

I expect we'll make a 1.5Mbit/s stream, not really HD just what people
flog as Internet HD, some time.

> The interesting aspect of the HD stream was seeing how various systems coped
> with the CPU load. It was good to have some HD content available that
> encouraged people to install vlc, find out a little about multicast, and
> system issues in receiving it.

That's why I leave it there but unpublicised as users would try getting
it down their adsl and annoy their ISP.

> Thanks again Beeb :)

/me doffs cap

brandon