expectations for bgp peering?

mike mike-nanog at tiedyenetworks.com
Wed Jan 21 05:25:31 UTC 2009

Hello,

 So I am just wondering what my expecations should be in a bgp peering
scenario where I am multihomed with my own ASN and arin assigned ip
space. At issue is the fact that my backup isp forced me to use ebgp
multihop to peer with a router internal to their network and not the
border router I am directly attached to, and secondly, that they say I
am not allowed to prepend at all - they will do it for me, and from the
looks of things they have established a route-map that just prepends
their AS 6 times to my announcement.

    This smells of bad engineering. I have looked up the bgp report for
my provider and they have 0 downstream AS's, and the week that this
project has taken (and it's still not up and working) has left me with
less than absolute confidence in the provider. I want to know if anyone
has an opinion on ebgp multihop for external customers, and wether I
should really have an expectation to be able to assign my prepends as
suits my needs? Are there any conditions that could make this fail that
I should be aware of?

Mike-