"IP networks will feel traffic pain in 2009" (C|Net & Cisco)

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Wed Jan 21 00:18:51 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 06:49:14PM -0500, Joe Abley wrote:

> On 2009-01-20, at 18:37, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
>
> >Less and less would be my estimate. How much video is cached ? How
> >much P2P is cached ?
>
> If you asked Akamai, Limelight and friends, they might tell you that
> 100% of important video is cached. And viewed from some angles, every
> peer who receives a block of data and offers to serve it to others is
> caching that block of data for the benefit of other peers.
>

> Joe

	aha... so taking a peek at my nearby BT tracker & client, it seems
	that there is abt 12% "duplicate" traffic.

	wildextrapolation -- poor caching design/flaky networks have a 10-15%
	extra traffic load, "just to make sure".

	i'd guess that 10% of a femto (or is it the other way) byte of traffic
	relates to real money.

--bill