Circuit numbering scheme - best practice?

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Sat Jan 17 00:32:41 UTC 2009

----- jay at west.net wrote: ------
<snip>
thing and horrendously long circuit numbers including CLLI codes such as
101/T3/SNLOCAGTH07/SNLOCA01K15.

That is what's used by the transport section (I'm in the IP section) in the company where I work.  Even though the description is long, I use the entire CID from the carrier along with something that makes sense to me and the NOC folk that'll be troubleshooting before I get to it.  Long in information many times means more work done by the first level folks.

Here's a couple of examples:

"LAG 29 LINK 1 for CKT ID: 101/GE1/HNLLHIMN37W/HNLLHIMN53W"

"101/GE1/HNLLHIMN37W/HNLLHIMN44W to Cisco 3750 7th floor data center"

"OC-12 POS line to AT&T: CIDs-> HT: 82.ODGS.xxxxxx.HAWT  AT&T: IVEC.xxxxxx..ATI"

Long?  Yes.  Helpful to the first level NOC folks?  Yes.

scott