Circuit numbering scheme - best practice?

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Fri Jan 16 23:11:31 UTC 2009

We've grown to the point that "The MCI T-1 in Ontario" or "Bob's
ethernet to port 6/23 on switch 7" aren't scaling.  Also in working with
carriers we are frequently asked to provide our internal circuit number.

I've seen a lot of the the LEC scheme NN-XXXX-NNNNNN where XXXX has some
significance with regard to the speed and type of circuit.  The leading
NN seems to be a mystery and the trailing NNNNNN is a serial number.

I've also seen DS1-NNNNNNN as a straight speed-serial number type of
thing and horrendously long circuit numbers including CLLI codes such as
101/T3/SNLOCAGTH07/SNLOCA01K15 .

Any suggestions from those who have been down this road as to a schema
that makes sense and is scalable?  Are there documented best practices?

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net