Approach to allocating netblocks

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Thu Jan 15 20:32:34 UTC 2009

--On torsdag, torsdag 15 jan 2009 15.11.48 -0500 William Herrin
<herrin-nanog at dirtside.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 5:16 AM, Måns Nilsson
> <mansaxel at besserwisser.org> wrote:
>> from operational standpoint renumbering is not that bad.
>
> Måns,
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-carpenter-renum-needs-work-01.t
> xt provides 24 pages and growing worth of problems with renumbering.
>
> Here's a simple one:
>
> Web browsers intentionally violate the DNS TTL with a technique called
> "DNS Pinning."

<snip>

Given the small netmasks, I'd guess that most of the browser population
behind them is addicted to a proxy. The proxy might not subscribe to
pinning.

Also, the browsers that run for months typically aren't on end-user PCs,
but on the workstations of the clued, if I might be so blunt.

It is not that renumbering is painless, not at all. But it is very useful
as "spring cleaning". I'd rather know what happens by testing it than
finding out by being woken up while on call.

--
Måns Nilsson			M A C H I N A

Now KEN and BARBIE are PERMANENTLY ADDICTED to MIND-ALTERING DRUGS ...