Cogent Haiku v2.0

John van Oppen john at vanoppen.com
Wed Jan 14 23:56:22 UTC 2009

The main problem I see is peering wars and a lack of diversity, we have
seen a couple incidents where they have dropped all or part of their
connectivity to our market (seattle), during the latter they had major
packet-loss which was frankly more annoying than them being down...
Issues also tend to be a tad more frequent than other providers but on
the whole, really not that bad.

We basically use cogent as private peering to reach their customers.
Operationally the incredibly annoying part is their helpdesk-style
attitude towards prefix-lists, if you have a few prefixes this is no big
deal but if you are like us and have 30+ downstream ASNs it can get
annoying to repetadily explain to techs who don't get it why you need to
have them add more routes, do le 24 matching (to limit the number of
times we call) or to increase their max-prefix limit.   If they were not
so cheap I would cancel them just due to the lack of RADB support but at
least they have no uRPF filters so I have taken to just doing batch
prefix-list updates with them every few months as my sanity-saving
solution.

John van Oppen
Spectrum Networks LLC
Direct: 206.973.8302