Anyone notice strange announcements for 174.128.31.0/24

kris foster kris.foster at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 23:22:53 UTC 2009

On Jan 14, 2009, at 2:52 PM, Michienne Dixon wrote:

> Well, if you really want to pick knits you are welcome to.  If I meant
> prepending, I would have said that. The example that I listed was
> setting up a router, advertising the ASNs listed and the random IP
> ranges gleaned from IANA.  Sorry if I confused you.

The point I believe John is trying to make is that *ASNs are not
announced*. There are no advertisements that say "this is how to get
to ASN X". BGP updates specifically announce network layer reachability.

This is an important point in this discussion. There are a lot of
comments being made that are just simply wrong and causing confusion
because of slips in terminology regarding the path attribute.

Kris