Anyone notice strange announcements for 174.128.31.0/24

William Herrin herrin-nanog at dirtside.com
Wed Jan 14 15:47:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Michienne Dixon <mdixon at nkc.org> wrote:
> I would consider this analogous to a customer testing their home alarm
> system and not letting the alarm company know about the test.

It's more like one owner in a condominium deciding to "test" the fire
alarm without first asking the condo association or letting the other
owners know about it ahead of time.

Or a charitable telemarketer demon-dialing at 5 am and, when you
register your outrage, suggesting that if you don't want to be
bothered you should turn off the ringer before you go to bed.

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
>These prefixes are being used in academic routing research experiments.

That's what the polling robocalls say around election time. They're
just conducting research... Would you really want to harm the
democratic process by insisting that they not call you? How hard is it
to just hang up...

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004