Anyone notice strange announcements for 174.128.31.0/24

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Jan 14 13:26:03 UTC 2009

kris foster wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2009, at 2:50 AM, Tim Franklin wrote:
>
>> On Tue, January 13, 2009 8:57 pm, Joe Abley wrote:
>>
>>> The fact that I choose to stick 701 in an AS_PATH attribute on a
>>> prefix I advertise in order to stop that prefix from propagating into
>>> 701 is entirely my own business, and it's a practice which, although
>>> apparently not commonplace, has been a well-known part of the IDTE
>>> toolbox for many years.
>>
>> For whatever reason, technical, political, or pure whim, I don't want
>> AS Y
>> to receive any of my announcements.
>>
>> What's the correct tool to do this?
>
> Exactly the method Randy used.

Yes, but I see that Randy has switched over to 3130 <poisoned AS> 3130,
which should at least keep a few alarms going off since Randy's AS is
the so called origin AS (as if people don't do aggregates or truncate AS
Paths (actually, there are some sections of BGP4, which probably don't
get used as often as others would like)).

I'm now extremely curious if alarms were just going off since the
right-most AS was the trigger, or if they go off just for the AS showing
up in some unfamiliar path.

Jack