Anyone notice strange announcements for 174.128.31.0/24

Simon Lockhart simon at slimey.org
Wed Jan 14 08:06:49 UTC 2009

On Wed Jan 14, 2009 at 09:59:14AM +0200, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> What if, by doing some research experiment, the researcher discovers some
> unknown and latent bug in IOS or JunOS that causes much of the Internet to
> go belly up?  1 in a billion chance, but nonetheless, a headsup would have
> been in order.

Say we had a customer who connected to us over BGP, and they used some new
experimental BGP daemon. Their announcement was "odd" in some way, but
appeared clean to us (a Cisco house). Once their announcement hit the a
Foundry router, it tickled a bug which caused the router to propogate the
announcement, but also start to blackhole traffic. Oh dear, large chunks of
the Internet have just gone belly up.

Should we have given a heads up to the Internet at large that we were turning
up this customer?

Simon
(Yes, I'm in the minority that thinks that Randy hasn't done anything bad)
--
Simon Lockhart | * Sun Server Colocation * ADSL * Domain Registration *
   Director    |    * Domain & Web Hosting * Internet Consultancy *