Are you getting Spam from Crossfire Media?

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Tue Jan 13 21:44:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 09:33:48AM +1300, Mark Foster wrote:
> I do have to ask though, what's up with third-party systems creating a web
> accessible archive of the mailing list?  Worse, with them not fudging
> email addresses when doing so?

yet, but it may have been rejected at the perimeter.  When I get a chance
this evening, I'll check logs and see if I turn up anything.

2. Yes, it's quite rude for third parties to set up (public) archives
of mailing lists without the prior, express consent of the owner(s)
of those lists.  I don't see a problem with individual members of
such lists maintaining their own (private) archives -- and I routinely
do so for every list I'm on.

3. But it's utterly pointless to obfuscate addresses in such archives:
spammers have long since set up quite efficient methods of harvesting
any address used on any public mailng list or Usenet newsgroup. [1]  The
only people meaningfully impeded by these futile attempts at obfuscation
are legitimate senders.

---Rsk

[1] Someone should explain this to Google in re their Usenet archive:
spammers have NNTP feeds, too.