Anyone notice strange announcements for 174.128.31.0/24

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Tue Jan 13 20:57:47 UTC 2009

On 13 Jan 2009, at 15:39, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

> See my earlier posts about using someone else's resources without
> their permission or even notifying them, then telling them it is OK
> because they shouldn't care anyway.

I read them. Nobody is using anybody else's resources. None of the
people who reacted did so because their prefixes had been hijacked.
All that happened was that someone decided to attach an attribute to a
non-hijacked prefix that made people scratch their heads, because to
them it was an unusual use of the attribute.

If I want to advertise a prefix, I'll attach whatever attributes I
like to it. People can choose not to accept it if they want, as ever.
What next? Am I "hijacking AS 701" if I attach the community string
attribute 701:1000 to a prefix I originate, or even one I learn from a
peer or customer?

The fact that I choose to stick 701 in an AS_PATH attribute on a
prefix I advertise in order to stop that prefix from propagating into
701 is entirely my own business, and it's a practice which, although
apparently not commonplace, has been a well-known part of the IDTE
toolbox for many years.

The only real victims of this recent (non-)event are the people who
have spent time wading through an enormous circular thread filled with
people trying to convince others to change their minds about something
that had no operational impact whatsoever to anybody, regardless of
the fact that it's surely by now clear that nobody is interested in
changing their mind.

> Really, this is not how I expected someone of your caliber to respond.

Then apparently you hadn't read any of my other comments in this
thread (or perhaps this was intended just as weak ad-hominem wrist-
slapping).

Joe