Anyone notice strange announcements for 174.128.31.0/24

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Jan 13 18:56:25 UTC 2009

On Jan 13, 2009, at 1:18 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

> Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
>> Filtering and other manipulation happened on your router,
>> prepending my ASN is putting that information into every router.
>> That seems to be a serious qualitative difference to me.  Do you
>> disagree?
>
> I think the basic disagreement is whether you think that "your
> stuff" is "select from internet where ASN is mine AND IP_ADDRESS is
> mine" or your stuff is "select from internet where ASN is mine OR
> IP_ADDRESS is mine".

There is no disagreement here.  If you believe the ASN assigned to me
for which I paid is not mine, you are confused.

> The person conducting the experiment clearly thoughght it was ok to
> use "your ASN" as long as it was "his address" that was being
> announced, since as long as it is "his address" he's allowed to put
> whatever he wants in the AS PATH he announces to the world for it.
> ("I can list whatever I want as my age, it is my profile after all")

Randy is well aware it was not his ASN, no matter whose prefix it was.

> Others clearly think it is not ok to use "their ASN" with *any*
> address, and that even though it is "his address" he is only allowed
> to put numbers in the AS PATH that he has permission to put there.
> ("The terms of service say you must state your actual age in your
> profile so that state laws about what minors can/can't do/see can be
> complied with")
>
> And of course nobody cares about the *other* integers that are
> involved in announcements, just the 32-bit ones that represent IP
> addresses and the 16- and 32-bit ones that represent ASNs. People
> who don't understand (like jurors) would probably be confused and/or
> think we're all crazy for arguing about this stuff.

Fortunately, people who run networks are not clueless ("jurors"?).  Or
at least they are not supposed to be clueless.

An ASN is a well defined resource, with publicly available ownership
information.  If anyone on this list does not understand this, I
suggest they do some more studying.

--
TTFN,
patrick