Anyone notice strange announcements for 174.128.31.0/24

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Jan 13 15:06:31 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 07:00:34AM -0800, David Barak wrote:
> If the concern was a Pilosov/Kapela style hijack, wouldn't the first thing you'd check be what the address range was?  That would lead you straight to Randy, and that should have cleared up the matter straightaway.  Remember: the owner of the IP space is the victim, not the ASN which gets prepended into the path...

	No, they are both victims.  If I inject a path that purports
there is an edge between two networks which are engaged in a bitter
dispute, (i'll use cogent & sprint as an example) - _1239_174_ that may
create a situation where someone asserts that their routes are
being filtered when infact no connectivity exists.

	Does that mean that I hijacked their identiy and forged it?  What
level of trust do you place in the AS_PATH for your routing, debugging and
decision making process?

	Personally, I would be upset if someone injected a route with my
ASN in the AS_PATH without my permission.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net