Anyone notice strange announcements for 174.128.31.0/24

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 15:00:34 UTC 2009

--- On Mon, 1/12/09, deleskie at gmail.com <deleskie at gmail.com> wrote:

> This was a test using unassigned IP block, unless I'm
> reading it wrong.  If a noc alerted on this it should have
> still be a low priority issue.  I don't see any issues
> with the way this was carried out at all.
>
> -jim

I completely agree with Jim: I have no idea why alert thresholds are set to a level of sensitivity which would cause this to become a "must be dealt with this minute" sort of issue.  What exactly is the threat potential of someone else's IP space being announced with your ASN prepended?

If the concern was a Pilosov/Kapela style hijack, wouldn't the first thing you'd check be what the address range was?  That would lead you straight to Randy, and that should have cleared up the matter straightaway.  Remember: the owner of the IP space is the victim, not the ASN which gets prepended into the path...

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com