Anyone notice strange announcements for 174.128.31.0/24

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Mon Jan 12 21:12:02 UTC 2009

On 2009-01-12, at 15:39, Florian Weimer wrote:

> So does "academic" mean "unethical" these days?
>
> I think this is over the line.  You can't put other people's IDs into
> routing data on production networks.  (Well, technically you can,
> obviously, but you shouldn't.)

The AS_PATH attribute is a loop-avoidance mechanism, not a signature
on a cheque.

AS_PATH prepending with your own and with others' AS numbers (the
latter intended to effect "don't let this prefix leak into that AS")
has been sitting in the inter-domain traffic engineering toolbox for
years.

I see no lack of ethics in the simple act of the as-path prepend as
part of a route export policy.

Joe