Anyone notice strange announcements for 174.128.31.0/24

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Mon Jan 12 21:09:40 UTC 2009

Florian Weimer wrote:
> I think this is over the line.  You can't put other people's IDs into
> routing data on production networks.  (Well, technically you can,
> obviously, but you shouldn't.)

Actually, the placement of the ASN is exactly what they need to do the
test, as it is treated as a routing loop and discarded. This allows for
fancy reachability tests while a portion of the network cannot see the
route in question.

Of course, people track their ASN usage these days and get red alarms
when their ASN shows up in ways unexpected. I'm not completely sure why
the ASN matters, except it's probably just a bonus service to route
hijacking detection (since ASN hijacking doesn't exactly serve a purpose
except to limit the route being advertised and perhaps leave someone
complaining to the wrong person if the hijacker is doing bad things).

Jack