ebay dropping asymmetric traffic?

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Fri Jan 9 20:10:00 UTC 2009

Ever notice you can't reach routing peeps by phone anymore?

I have a few networks which are routing out one provider and return
another. Not general practice, but it's ended up that way. As of last
night I've had reports flowing in of these networks unable to hit ebay.
The other networks in that area which leave and return via the same
route seem to be working, and the broken networks returned to operation
status when we forced ebay traffic around the network to make the flows
symmetrical.

I've heard this is causing problems in other networks as well. Has
anyone seen this? Any idea of the specifics? I'm almost tempted to
believe it's some form of RPF on inbound traffic (the observed path was
via their cox interconnect).

Jack