Estimate of satellite vs. Land-based traffic

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Thu Jan 8 11:29:23 UTC 2009

Marshall Eubanks <tme at multicasttech.com> writes:

> When I was working with Svalbard, Internet connectivity was through a
> satellite link at about 2.5 degrees
> elevation looking through a notch in the mountains.  I don't think it
> has changed

It has, as Steinar says.

For those interested in the necessary elevation at 78 degrees north, I
found a nice picture of the antennas here:
http://www.mydarc.de/la0by/isfjord.jpg

There aren't any mountains in front of the the antennas.  However there
is a mountain between Isfjord Radio and Longyearbyen (the main
settlement), requiring a relay station on the radio link between these.

Bjørn