Single carrier multi-circuit asynchronous routing issue

Aaron Millisor aaron.millisor at bright.net
Wed Jan 7 19:53:25 UTC 2009

I am curious to know if anyone has else has hit a problem like the one I
am running into right now.

I have two DS3 DIA's in my router, terminating on two separate routers
at Sprint. We peer with BGP and I am prepending certain of my prefixes
to balance the traffic load.

src			 __________		   dst
1.1.1.0 |----|- ds3 #1 -| sprint 1 |--(          ) 2.2.2.0
------- |me  |                        ( internet ) -------
         |----|- ds3 #2 -| sprint 2 |--(          )

If I were to prepend the network 1.1.1.0 to come in on 'sprint 1', but
have a route to 2.2.2.0 via 'sprint 2' so that traffic comes in on one
circuit but returns on the other, routing is broken. If I change my
route so that packets directed to 2.2.2.0 return on the same circuit
that the traffic is received on, everything works fine.

Has anyone else run into an issue like this before?

-- am